Social distancing is what we can all do to help flatten the curve of the pandemic and not overwork our health services, so we’re not running our regular classes & socials for the foreseeable future.
While Oxford Lindy Hoppers regular classes and socials are still suspended, we are offering occasional online drop in classes and get togethers starting with Jazz-nuary. We will post updates of any goings-on here and also, more regularly, on social media.
Jazz-nuary is for you if you’re missing your swing fix as much as we are! Join us on Thursday evenings for some more Thursday evening jazz and other dancing fun.
What? some fun and easy jazz, Charleston, shag and may be even some Blues to liven up the lockdown darkness.
When? Thursday evenings 7:00 pm from 14th January
Where? We are on Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84445585993
1. No experience? No problem. We’ll be starting from the absolute beginning, with the classic jazz routine, the shim sham.
2. How long will the classes be? An hour-ish depending on energy levels, questions etc.
3. What do I need? Computer/phone/tablet that can run Zoom, an internet connection, some floor space you can dance on and not crash into anything/one (2 x 2m ideally)
4. Cost? Free! But please see Q5.
5. Will there be more classes, lindy hop etc.? Having spoken to quite a few Oxford dancers though, we realised just how much we’re all missing being able to get together, and we hope to offer more chances for virtual classes and get togethers.
We’re also acutely aware that the fantastic professional teachers that are the bedrock of our scene are facing unforeseeable and severe challenges to their livelihoods. The last thing we want to do is compete with the many excellent online courses that have been set up. With that in mind, we would like to ask, if you can, do please support professional dance teachers (and also musicians) so that we can look forward to some amazing parties when this is all over. Please see the Big Blue Fun Bus Facebook page for details of other broadcasts, classes etc. https://www.facebook.com/groups/370912772958714/
What else can we do?
* Get into the music! Not being able to go out dancing is a great opportunity to dig deep into the music and the artists who created it. This will give your dancing a boost once you’re back on the dance floor and you might even get into DJing!
* Learn about the origins of swing dancing and African American culture – there is so much to explore! Ask us for recommendations if you don’t know where to start.
* Call your friends who you would usually meet dancing and chat. Social distancing doesn’t mean social isolation! It’s important to support each other.
* Support full-time teachers and musicians: Full-time instructors and musicians are facing tough times. You can support them by taking virtual private classes or buying their records digitally. There are also plenty of fundraisers going on to support these artists, so if you have a few spare coins (e.g. from not going to Swing Fix or or Thursday classes), throw them their way.
Stay tuned, stay healthy and WASH YOUR HANDS!
Your OLH team